Finally dedicating a post (a quick one, but one none the less) to the development of the design tool from last semester. When beginning development of the tool, I first considered what a tool could be. After speaking with other designers and continuing my research I determined it should be a physical object.
Once this was determined, I began to consider the point of interaction. Would it be when a designer is synthesizing? Would it be a means of presenting to clients? Would it be a personal item to support other design activities? For this I turned to my own experiences. Working with a hesitant and inquisitive client at the time, and then learning of a new paper published The Bias Against Creativity I decided to try and address the mis-understandings that often surround what experience, service, interaction and system design have to offer. The moment in time that seemed best suited for addressing these issues would be during the first designer/client meeting.
Then I became curious about how this could happen? How does one provide clarity about the offering when it is so custom to the situation? After running through various conversation scenarios, I thought, what I applied the design process to the conversation? This design constraint helped me quickly narrow down what the tool should be.
Below I am considering the different conversational scenarios
I then narrowed the conversation to follow the design process
I decided to make a small paper, conceivably a pocket notepad, because you never know who may be interested in one’s services.
The process as I’ve defined it, is research, synthesis, prototype and iterate.
Each step is color coded to be distinct. The prototype step has slight grid markings to provide bounding boxes for the storyboard. The iterate step is not in a box, because it is a different kind of step.
The critique I have most often received is that the shape should change, potentially to a small fold out pamphlet or a book. I plan to revisit the form of this and begin testing it this summer sometime. I have also provided hard copies to the Action Mill and will receive feedback in the coming months.